Thursday, November 17, 2016

10 Days of Thanksgiving: Day 6 - Food Blogs

Today I am thankful for food blogs.

How did people meal-plan before the advent of food blogs??  While some of my recipes come from cookbooks I own, the vast majority of the recipes I make come from food blogs. As someone that eats a gluten-free diet, food blogs are especially helpful. That's especially true when it comes to baking because when you bake gluten-free foods, you usually can't just swap out glutenous flour for gluten-free flour. Other modifications are needed and I don't have the patience to go through the trial and error process of figuring out how to make a recipe gluten free.

I make recipes from many different blogs, but my 'go to' ones are:

1. Iowa Girl Eats - Kristen, the author of this blog, has celiac and her son has a dairy intolerance, so this is my #1 source of recipes (besides being gluten free, I tried to limit my dairy intake). Her recipes are easy and straightforward and she has many 20- or 30-minute meals.

2. Minimalist Baker - I love this blog so much that I splurged and bought her cook book. She shares recipes that are vegan (but can easily to modified if you want to use eggs and dairy products) and many are gluten free. I love that her recipes often call for fewer than 10 ingredients and many of the entrees are one-pot meals.

3. Simply Recipes - This isn't a gluten free blog, but she clearly indicates whether it is gluten free.  There is such a wide variety of recipes on this blog so I often check here first if I have an ingredient I want to use but don't know what to do with it (ex: I had some leftover jicama from another recipe so I came to this blog to get some ideas on how to use up the rest of the jicama).

4.  Skinny Taste - Gina, the author of this blog, shares healthy and low/lower-calorie recipes. This blog also has a ton of recipes so I will often come here when I'm looking for inspiration on what to do with an ingredient.  I also really like her recipe index as she has many different ways of categorizing things, like "one pot," "lenten friendly," "whole 30," and "superbowl." She also groups recipes by the number of weight watcher points in each serving, which would be super helpful for anyone on the weight watchers plan.

What are you thankful for today?  What are some of your 'go to' food blogs?

10 comments:

Marlys said...

I've always been a recipe lover, and have way too many cookbooks! But I have come to relish the food blog and online recipe sites, so am in recipe heaven! A new found favorite of mine is Mel's Kitchen!

Linda said...

Adding these to feedly!

Leigh said...

We use Iowa Girl Eats so much too! I also like Budget Bytes or my friend Lindsey's blog (arunningtale.com)- she shares her meal plans each Friday :)

Jeanie said...

I have so many cookbooks and things I've torn out, I rarely go online for a recipe just to browse or follow a blog. I do follow Jean's Delightful Repast and the recipes have been good. Plus, she only posts once a week so I don't feel like a slacker. But I will often go if I'm looking for a recipe that I don't know how to index in a book -- if I'm working with a specific ingredient, for example (kalamata olives, pasta) -- well, I'd know what to do with those in my sleep, but you get the idea.

And I'm very grateful the internet is there for all of us when we are having food emergencies!

Stephany said...

I mostly use Pinterest for meal ideas, but I guess it still counts because all those recipes come from food blogs!

Gracie said...

I like almost everything from Skinny Taste! Probably because she favors ethnic foods that I already like - and because her recipes are always super fast. Sometimes I just don't want to slave over dinner.

San said...

Oh yes, foodblogs... they're so helpful. I also subscribe to SkinnyTaste and then Blissful Basil, Oh she glows, Budget Bytes and a German foodblog by a friend (Greenway36)... and a couple of others.

Amber said...

You know I don't use Iowa Girl Eats as much as I probably should. I hear of so many people using their recipes regularly and how good they are! I am definitely very thankful for food blogs and recipes online -- they saved me during Whole 30!

Abby said...

I've got to check some of these out! I do use Simply Recipes.

My favorite go-to blog is Sally's Baking Addiction. Obviously for baking ;) It's unfortunately not GF, so you probably would not find much value in it. But I LOVE her recipes. They always turn out so good - and she explains the process behind every step/ingredient, which I really enjoy. I've been theoretically (and literally) burned so many times in baking - I like to know the method behind the madness!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I usually just google recipes, and often end up on all sorts of food blogs - I think I have about a million things bookmarked. One that I go to quite often, and always trust is Smitten Kitchen.