Friday, May 13, 2016

Whole30 Findings

Oh, hey. Remember when I did Whole30 (which feels like a lifetime ago) and then my life blew up between the move and surgery? The whole point of doing that program was to learn about what foods do or don't agree with you and how you can shift your eating to feel better. So for those of you that are interested in my takeaways, here's what I learned through the process:

1. I have a sensitivity to dairy. I had a feeling I'd reach this conclusion after doing the program, but when I reintroduced dairy, it was VERY obvious that it does not agree with me. I felt sick to my stomach and bloated and the next morning I woke up congested and with a terrible headache. These are all signs I can't ignore so going forward I will try not to eat dairy. I will make exceptions occasionally, like when I eat a meal at someone's house or when I really want a treat like ice cream, but in general, dairy will not be part of my diet. I've gone dairy-free before so I know it's something I can stick with. 

2. Sugar really messes with your energy levels. After Whole30 ended, I let myself have some treats that following week and quickly noticed how much my energy level would tank after eating something with a lot of sugar in it. I also realized how sick to my stomach sugary foods make me feel. I don't bake very often but going forward, I'll try to use recipes that use ingredients with naturally occurring sugar, like honey, agave syrup or apple sauce. I'm not saying I'll never have sugar because that is not realistic but I will be careful about how much sugar I will consume going forward.

3. The cleaner you eat, the better you will feel. This is a pretty obvious conclusion to reach but something I definitely realized during the reintroduction phase. I found that I feel best when I am fueling my body with fruits, vegetables and meat. It's not realistic to exclusively eat those things as it requires so much grocery shopping and meal prep to eat that way, but I want to try to eat that way as much as possible.

Whole30 was definitely challenging, but I would be willing to do it again, especially in the summer when there is lots of fresh produce available. I can see myself doing a modified Whole30 later this summer; the modification I'd make is allowing myself to have legumes as I don't think I have an intolerance to them and they are so good for you and cheap to eat!

12 comments:

Gracie said...

i think for me Whole 30 would be tough. I love cheese and milk in my coffee, and I eat a lot of bread! Good for you for sticking with it and learning some things in the process.

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

It's nice to figure out what does and does not work for you, i.e. dairy/sugar. Although I am not really too keen on diets which cut out one thing entirely, I do think that many people in the US (and world) eat too much processed foods. So cutting out things like sugar really cuts that category out by a lot! Diary I have never had an issue with (I think) but I was never a fan of milk and so I use non dairy creamer and almond milk anyway...although I am a fan of cheese and butter! I think I may have a small aversion to a couple of foods, like peanuts, as I tend to be more bloated after eating them, but I have never had any major issues, thank goodness!

I think the best time to do the Whole30 would be summer, as you would have such a variety of fresh fruit and veggies to choose from!

Charbelle said...

The fortunate thing about dairy is that there are some really fantastic alternatives. I prefer almond milk for about everything except drinking. I still drink a lot of milk. I know you've recognized in the past that this is not something your body does well with, and I'm glad their are good alternatives!

Isn't the sugar thing crazy! I've read so much about how it's as addictive as certain drugs. I'm doing the 90 days healthy, but this one has a built in cheat day a week, but I'm incorporating a 30 day no sweets at all. I know that a lot of food as additional sugar added so I'm trying to be aware and read labels. You know I've been tracking and that is where I'm seeing the biggest difference for me.

In the summer time I feel like it's just easier to eat healthy! I think that's why our grandparents did so much canning.

Marlys said...

Sugar is such a culprit but tastes so good! I am really trying to not eat sweets as much as I used to, and know I feel better. I was going to make a batch of GF chocolate chip cookies for you, but didn't get them done so now I am glad I didn't!

Nora said...

i think we eat much healthier in the summer since we can grill more, focus on fresh produce and locally sourced options more (farmer's markets!) and we also are far more active so that's probably part of it, too.

I have a love/hate with sugar. I can do really well with no sweets/desserts but then I have one dessert and it's all over. Normally I go Sunday-Friday with no sweets/desserts and am mindful of the sugar/corn syrup in other things I eat. I say normally because last night D and I went to get custard ;) All about balance, yes?

Jeanie said...

It sounds like you have found out something important from this and I appreciate your wisdom in saying "I'm not saying I won't have ice cream as a treat or when I'm eating at a friend's house but otherwise..." You're right about the practicality of total elimination of anything, whether it is dairy, gluten, sugar. Sometimes you have to because of allergy but sometimes you can maybe do something (like those lactaid pills) that can allow you to do it every now and then and feel more "normal!"

Sugar is so good -- but yes, I think if I didn't have it the weight might not fall off but would faster. Nora is right about summer eating. With all the great fruit and veggies it's a lot easier to be healthy -- and that's just around the corner!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

I'm glad you found some interesting things from doing the WHole 30! It's funny for me that sugar seems to affect me differently depending on what it's in. I cannot have soda at all. My whole life I have felt TERRIBLE if I drink soda. I know the bubbles are not the best, but I think it's mainly the sugar as I used to be able to handle Diet Coke (I don't drink it now because I can't do caffeine). I also have trouble with doughnuts. But like, a bunch of Skittles I can do... not that I do that often, and 1 cookie or 1 cupcake i'm usually fine too. So I don't know, maybe these differ in the amounts of sugar or type or something.

Food is always so interesting- but sometimes I wish we didn't HAVE to eat, just could if we felt like it! haha

Stephany said...

This reintroduction phase of Whole30 is what intrigues me the most! It's just interesting to see how our body actually reacts to different foods. I just don't know if I could make it through 30 days without all of my favorite things, haha.

I think Ben & Jerry's sells non-dairy ice cream now! Just FYI. ;-)

Amber said...

I am both excited and nervous to try Whole 30! I think I have convinced Carmine to do it with me so it will be helpful to have someone along for the ride. I am going to try and plan out my entire 30 days of meals in advance so there is less guess work and opportunity to give in to cravings.

Elizabeth said...

Baaah, I read this after drinking 3 cups of coffee each with my morning (small-ish) heap of brown sugar in them :) I REALLY need to cut back on coffee but am not willing to just drop it just yet. I think I have the same reaction to dairy though and generally try to limit it, but just this week had my face totally break out after eating some quiches one of the gals brought to brunch this weekend. (I also had yogurt and ice cream recently.) I definitely need to start being more mindful of food in a different sense than what I've been focusing on......

Would you do Whole 30 again?

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Christopher and I just went to a screening of a documentary called "That Sugar Film", followed by a panel discussion with some naturopaths. I highly recommend the documentary; I think you'd like it :-)

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

I am fairly certain I have a dairy intolerance but I am fiercely holding onto my cheese and ice cream. It's about the only dairy I have anyway,