Wednesday, November 25, 2015

10 Days of Thanksgiving: Day 10

Today I am thankful for my family.

It's hard to find the words to appropriately sum up how thankful I am for my wonderful family.  I have a large family as I am one of 5, all 4 siblings are married and 3 out of 4 siblings have had a total of 7 kids.  When I was growing up, the size of my family annoyed me at times as it meant a crowded dinner table, long waits for the bathroom (we had 2 for a family of 7, but one was mostly for my parents), and the ongoing battle for my parents' attention.  However, now that I am an adult, I love my big, at times loud, and loving family.

I recognize the fact that the holiday season is not a time of joy for everyone as some have lost a parent or loved one or may have other family dynamics that make the holiday season a time of stress or sadness.  I feel so fortunate that that is not the case for me.  Of course no family is perfect, but I am lucky that despite the fact that we have many unique personalities, we love and support one another and genuinely enjoy the time spent together.

I'm looking forward to celebrating Thanksgiving tomorrow with Phil, my parents, and my 2 brothers and their families.  We'll miss my 2 sisters and their families that won't be there, though!

What are you thankful for today?  I hope everyone has a safe and happy weekend and to those living in the U.S. - Happy Thanksgiving!! 


13 comments:

Gracie said...

Why is that the parents always got one bathroom all to themselves?! Not fair!

Charis Faith said...

LOL and I thought I had it tough having to share the bathroom with my brother! I am so incredibly thankful for my family!!! I know I am blessed that I am able to live with my parents and celebrate with everyone throughout this week!!!

Marlys said...

When I grew up we had one and 1/2 bathrooms for 10 people! Now that was tough! Many minutes were spent pounding on the door to tell another sibling to hurry up!

I, too, am so thankful for each and everyone one of my family as they all bring unique qualities and gifts to the family. I thank God that we are all healthy and living good lives. So many don't know where their next meal is coming from so just for that, I am humbled with gratitude.

I am really excited to spend Thanksgiving with 3 of my children and their families and will really miss the ones who can't be with us.

Amber said...

Have an awesome Thanksgiving with your family!!! My family drives me crazyyyyyy sometimes, but I love them and I'm lucky to have grown up with very supportive parents who provided for me and I never wanted for anything. I definitely know not everyone is lucky enough to have such a great start in life!

Happy Thanksgiving (almost!)

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

Today I'm thankful for quiet days at work. I have a headache and I'm glad I do not have anything super important or a huge deadline at the moment. I can sip on my coffee and go slow. Cannot wait for it to be 3pm and off work until Monday. Also very thankful that I get a paid 2 days off without having to take vacation for the first time in my adult life. This is sad people!!!!!

Stephany said...

It's so nice to have a big family! Difficult, but still nice. My mom is one of 6, so I have tons of uncles and aunts and cousins. Of course, family can always be difficult, but ultimately, they are the ones who are there supporting you and cheering you on when you need it.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Abby said...

I am so thankful for you guys, as well!! My heart is kind of heavy - and spending holidays away from you all never gets easier. (in fact i think it gets harder....as I'm sitting on my desk @ work with my eyes full of tears. I don't know what my problem is this year!)

We are so blessed to have a big, full, family filled with love. So blessed to have Mom and Dad both in our lives still. And a non-split family!

I'm so thankful to have you as my sister and friend!! :) Love you. Have fun this weekend!

Jeanie said...

Like you, I'm thankful for family, a sunny day (and warm, too!), a sweet kitty-girl, wonderful friends here and everywhere and so much more! Happy Thanksgiving, Lisa. I know it will be wonderful!

Leigh said...

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Lisa! And that hosting everyone goes well too :)

Jenny said...

I have 3 sisters and we only had 1 bathroom!! thankfully due to the age gap between me and them, they were all married and had their own houses by the time I was 10 so I had maximum preening time when I was teenager :)

Hope you had a great thanksgiving!

San said...

I am so thankful for a loving family, too. J's family's dynamics are much more complicated and it makes me sad :(

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

Isn't family wonderful? Due to the fact that we only had one bathroom, I used to do a lot of my prep in my room. I remember knocking on the door and asking my dad how much longer he would take and his answer was always "two minutes", no matter what. I think he was just hiding in there trying to get away from us from time to time!!

I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful and that you enjoyed the time with your family!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

That IS a big family! Glad to hear that you all get along so well and support each other. That definitely isn't always the case. I too am thankful to have a family that gets along, has never gotten into a fight at Christmas etc.. It's so sad that it isn't that way for everyone, and that domestic disputes are highest over the holidays. It breaks my heart.