Thursday, October 30, 2014

Currently: October Edition

I am getting my October currently post in right in the nick of time!  This month FLEW by for me!

Reading: The Pieces We Keep by Kristina McMorris for a local book club that my friend Courtney and I started.  I haven't had an in person book club in YEARS so I am excited that I finally do!  I think it's going to be a great group!

Loving:  the beautiful fall weather we've had lately!  The weather has definitely changed this week but I love that we had so many 60+ degree days in October!

Thinking: about what goals I want to set for myself in 2015.  The end of the year is going to come fast so I'm doing some brain storming now. In the last couple of years I had huge goals like pass the CFA or get out of Charlotte but this year there aren't any huge goals, at least not ones that are easy to define and measure...  so we'll see what I come up with!

Frustrated:  that it is taking so long for the water damage repairs to be completed in my condo.  It's been almost 4 weeks since the pipe leaked and my living room is still not back to normal.  The property manager has been great but the insurance adjuster is taking FOREVER.  Ahh, I just want my organized, clean condo back.  Fingers crossed the work gets done next week. 

Feeling:  like I really need to plan less in November.  I've been feeling over tired and I know that over planning is contributing to that. 

Anticipating: our 6th Annual Julia Child Night which is just over a week away!  It's the most delicious night of the year and I am excited to introduce Phil to the tradition (and more of my family)! 

Watching:  Parenthood and Top Chef on DVR most Sundays (live watching does not happen these days).  I am so sad that it's the last season of Parenthood!  What will I do without my weekly Adam Braverman fix?

Sad:  that the number of hours of daylight is quickly declining.  I am not looking forward to the end of Daylight Savings this weekend as it will get dark even earlier!

Working:   on a new publication at work that I re-designed from scratch.  I was not impressed with what we were doing before and think this new publication will be a big improvement.  I hope the sales force shares that opinion with me.    

Grateful:  that I belong to a Catholic church in the Twin Cities that I really like.  Luckily the parish is just across the river from where I live so it's also convenient for me to attend.  I really love the priest and deacon as they give awesome homilies that really make me think.  

Listening:  to the wind blowing outside my window.  It's been a bit blustery here lately!

Wishing: that I had more vacation time.  Don't get me wrong - I know I have more than many others do, but starting a new job in the middle of the year means it gets pro-rated so while I certainly have a fair amount, it's not as much as I would normally have (and I get 4 less days than I did with my previous employer).  As a result I can't take a day off to help with Julia Child prep and I don't think I will be able to take time off around Christmas but am hoping I can work from the lake 1-2 days.  But I can't complain too much since I am using 4 days to go to Jamaica!

What are you grateful for, loving, and reading?

18 comments:

Jeanie said...

Sounds like a busy and fun time, Lisa. Maybe you don't need a giant goal for 2015 -- maybe one or two (or three) smaller goals is what you need in this period of chill down. Then, if something big comes along, you'll be up to the task.

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

Ah, fall weather. It's some of the best. I love seeing the trees change colors. But the loss of daylight...ugh. Definitely doesn't do anything for the mood or help with extra energy. Ah, Julia Child night always sounds amazing.

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

Also, grateful for the opportunities I do have to get outdoors and fall running and reading lots of textbooks.

Nora said...

Grateful: this community. You guys have been such a support system for me this year (and in previous years, of course)

Loving: Cardigans with sparkly buttons!

Reading: Beautiful Creatures- it's a YA book about witches (I think)? It's intriguing and well written so far. It's LONG but I'm enjoying it and it suits the Halloween themed week!

Marlys said...

We have been working every night this week on outside projects when we get home, like raking, trimming bushes, cleaning windows, as this will all come to an end next week when it is dark by 5:30! Ugh!
Loved your posts! You sound so much more upbeat than a year ago!
Looking forward to Julia Child night!
Glad Phil can come!

Stephany said...

I'm not looking forward to the end of Daylight Saving Time, either! It's already getting dark here around 6:30-7:00 and I don't like it. And I get up too early anyway that it's ALWAYS dark outside. Ha... so the earlier daylight doesn't really help me.

I'm MAYBE going to be able to take one day off at Christmastime. Luckily, we get Christmas Eve/Day off, so that's nice!

Caroline said...

I'm so dreading the time change on Sunday! I'm thinking about 2015 goals already too :)

Carolina John said...

The 2015 goals will come to you in time. I'm having the same issue, nothing left to chase this year and no clue what I want to do next year. But I know something will present itself.

I wish I had more vacation time too. I used up so much of it in the spring and taking that 6 days off for the ironman trip, I'm going going to have a few days for christmas break.

Leigh said...

I agree with you, not looking forward to the shorter days of sunlight. Makes me not want to do anything after I get home from work. And means the snow is coming :( I'm currently reading a series by David Baldacci (sp?). The books are easy reads :)

Becky said...

I can't believe your apartment is still not done. Ugh!

Grateful for: being pregnant. I have a doctor's appointment next week and I always get a little anxious before each one but I have to remind myself to just take it one day at a time!

Loving: that it's finally getting cooler here - we have a weekend getaway with some friends planned soon and I can't wait!

Reading: I think I'm going to start the first Game of Thrones book. I've been waiting because my attention span hasn't been a lot lately for books but I feel like this is a good time to dive in!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

I hate how dark it is now too! We used to walk in the daylight and now it's so dark- we have to use the flashlight on our phones on one of the streets. I am really not looking forward to DST... worst idea every with children!

I can't believe it's already time for Julia Child night!

Charis Faith said...

I know you are so crazy busy this month! I want your condo fixed for you too! I know it makes you feel twitchy to have it that way! Although not kidding I was happy not to wear my glasses while watching tv :)

I love your church too! It's a very warm welcoming beautiful place!!!

Can't wait to hear about Julia Child tonight, it's one of my favorite things to read about!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I can't believe your Julia Child night is almost here! Maybe it's because you haven't talked about it as much this year or maybe it's because I'm doing a very poor job of keeping up. But, wowzer!

Amber said...

That's a good point about 2015 being a harder year for you to come up with big goals to set. I'm excited to see what goals you do decide to set!

I have a more than fair amount of vacation time too, especially since I can take excessive overtime off in lieu, but I always want more! Actually unless it was a significant pay raise I would rather have more vacation days than a pay raise right now.

Happy Friday!

Abby said...

I wish we could come to Julia Child night! With it so close to holidays, then we would have to pick that or Thanksgiving/Xmas though :(. Can't wait to see the menu you come up with this year!!

You are very blessed to have a church you like. We had such a hard time finding one that was traditional and followed the rules!!

I hope November can slow down for you a bit! The past 2 weeks for me have been incredibly overbooked, combined with working a lot of hours - last night I looked like I'd been put through the ringer. So exhausted!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

I am grateful for my child. Love her to pieces. Reading - nothing, just about to start The Vineyard. Finished And The Mountains Echoed this week and I was very let down by it. Vacation days. I wish I had them. Technically I don't work June - August but I do not get paid for that time.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I haven't heard of Parenthood ... sounds like I'm missing out!

Grateful for - A weekend at home.

Loving - The warm (for November) weather!

Reading - A chapter on stats for the horrible class I'm taking.

Linda said...

I wish I could join your in person book club!