Friday, May 31, 2013

It's Time






2 sets of textbooks, 9 practice tests, and a binder containing 3 packs of note paper of hand written notes.  All of that, with the exception of a couple of last minute things I need to review today, has been packed away.  I am very happy to reclaim my dining room table from the death grip of the CFA (and it has rarely looked this tidy...  it's usually a chaotic mess). 


It's almost here - the final level of the CFA.  I know some people in my life have questioned my desire to pursue this designation (and I have questioned it myself considering the sacrifices I have had to make) but hopefully all of my hard work and perseverance pays off.  I've spent over 400 hours over the course of the last 23 weeks studying for this exam and I can honestly say I couldn't have studied any harder than I have.  The bulk of the studying has been done at my dining room table, but I've studied in airports, airplanes, hotel rooms, and coffee shops.  This CFA study season will go down as the most volatile of the three, as just weeks into the study season, I found out I'd be moving across the country. I've tried my best to rise above all the volatility, but it has been far from easy and I will say that the last 5 months of my life have been some of the toughest today.

But exam day is tomorrow, so soon enough I can put all this craziness behind me.  It's a 6 hour exam broken into 2 3-hour sessions.  The format of the morning half is essays, the afternoon half is case studies with multiple choice.  I know it will be hard, but I know I am as prepared as I can be.  The pass rate is still quite low for this level (50%) which is mind boggling considering it's only around 40% for the first 2 levels..  So as much as my family and friends continue to assert that I AM going to pass, I also know there is a chance I won't given that pass rate.  But I am trying not to think about that too much.

I arrived last night and am staying with my aunt & uncle until after the exam, when I will see Phil (he is taking level 3 as well, and is studying quite a bit in the days leading up to the exam, so we are waiting until after the exam to spend time together... not ideal, but it's the way it goes. After all, it's probably the most important test we'll take in our lives).  Tonight I am going out to dinner with one of my local best friends at the Mexican place I always eat at the night before, and tomorrow night I will celebrate having the beast of exam behind me by going to a different Mexican restaurant with family (yes, Mexican two nights in a row.  There is no such thing as too much Mexican food in my world).

So wish me luck, cross your fingers, and say a prayer for me tomorrow that this my final time of sitting for the CFA!  I'll check in next week to let you know how it went!

27 comments:

J said...

GOOD LUCK Lisa! I hope you do great! Thinking and praying for you today!

Caroline said...

Good luck Lisa!! Thinking of you today!

Gracie said...

Definitely wishing you luck! You put in all the hard work - you're prepared!!

Becky said...

Yes yes yes! You can do it! So glad this will be behind you soon!

Unknown said...

Good morning! I'm in the kitchen preparing breakfast!!! So wonderful to have you here staying with us. Let's get this darn test done!!!!

Allison @ With Faith and Grace said...

Good luck! I know you can do it! And have a great time with Phil and the fam. :)

Jeanie said...

I had Mexican last night and if I had it tonight, I'd be thrilled! I get that!

I know it will be such a relief to have it over -- and I also have all the confidence in you that you'll knock it out of the park! Three cheers!

BetsE said...

Good luck Lisa!!! Sending positive thoughts your way! I'm sure all of your hard work will pay off.

Stephany said...

GOOD LUCK, GOOD LUCK, GOOD LUCK! I can't believe test day is almost here. Will be thinking of you!

missris said...

Good luck! Sounds like you are super prepared and I'm sure you'll rock it!

Marlys said...

My stomach has butterflies in it so I can only imagine how you feel! I know you have poured yourself into these three levels of tests and pray that you will do as well on the final one as you did on the previous two, but know that it is a very difficult level to pass! We will see you tomorrow evening with some "bubbly" to toast you with! Know we are praying for you!

Leigh said...

Good luck Lisa! You have worked so hard that you've got this :)

Linda said...

Best of luck!!!

Abby said...

I almost get a little weepy eyed when I put myself in your shoes -- and think of how much sacrifice you've put with this over the past few years!

I am so proud of you!! You are going to ROCK this, my love!!! So wish I could celebrate with all's y'alls!!

Nicole said...

Good luck Lisa!! I hope it goes well and that you are able to enjoy your time home in MN. :)

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

You are (always) in my thoughts and prayers. Just keep doing what you're doing, you have such a good handle on what you need to do to be successful and I admire you so much.
GOOD LUCK!

Nora said...

You know I am thinking of you and will be sending many good test vibes and thoughts to you tomorrow!

And heck yes, one can never have too much Mexican. Ever.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

When everything else in your life has been up in the air, this exam has offered you some stability and cause for focus. Maybe that means you've studied harder than ever before! Let's get this darned test out of the way, so you can spend some quality time with friends and family! Sending good juju north to you! xoxox

San said...

You have such discipline and dedication! I am glad the stressful time is over!
Fingers are crossed and I'll be thinking about you. Rock it!

Mandy said...

You are going to rock this exam. I remember when you started on this path over three years ago. You are absolutely as prepared as you can be and soon it will be a distant memory. Sending so many good vibes and positive thoughts your way. Will be thinking of you all day tomorrow. Fingers crossed, good thoughts sent up....you've got this!XO

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

I'm thinking of you and shall have a margarita in your honor!

Karen said...

Good luck! Hope the test treats you kindly and you get to enjoy the weekend home!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

I'm with your sister- I just feel like AHHH for you! Anyway, I will be thinking of you, I know it's going to go well and the most important thing is, it will be over! :)

Melissa said...

Thinking of you sososo much today! Best of luck, I can't wait for you to be able to ENJOY SUMMER! :)

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I hope your test went well!! I can't even imagine studying that much - you are amazing girl!

Amber said...

My fingers were crossed for you all day on Saturday! I know it's too late to wish you good luck on this post but I was definitely thinking of you!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

I know that you already took it, but still I am sending good juju your way! When do you get the results? I hope it is soon. I know that you passed though, but still, waiting around is annoying! I wish you speedy results and I hope you enjoyed your time home regardless of the exam. Bring on your first weekend of "freedom"!