Monday, February 11, 2013

Weekend Warrior

Happy Monday!  For those of you who were hit hard by a snow storm, I hope you are digging out!  It was crazy to see how much snow the Northeast got over the weekend.  I am SO glad that was not me as I am really over snow.  Luckily we just maybe got 4" yesterday?

I had a super productive, yet fun weekend.  On the productive side, I filed my taxes, studied for 11 hours, got caught up on ironing, ran 6 chilly miles outdoors, assembled and froze the lasagna that I'll make for my dinner party next weekend, and cleaned out/purged 2 closets!  On the fun side, I went out to dinner with a couple I hadn't seen in about a year, had fun at a game night at Phil's where I learned how to play a new game (Catan, it's a favorite game in his group of friends), caught up with Mandy on the phone, and ended the weekend with a video knitting night chat with Becky and Kyla!

Oy vey.  I almost get tired just typing that all out...  It was a fun, full weekend, but I can't say I felt all that relaxed and refreshed at the end.  Instead I feel sort of exhausted and spread thin as I moved from one thing to the next with very little downtime.  But I think I just have to accept that this is how life will be until after the move... or until after the CFA exam in June most likely.  I struggled with feeling overwhelmed and spread thin last year when studying for level II and those feelings are exacerbated this year since I now have to fit in pre-moving tasks and trying to see as many family and friends as I possibly can before I move in early April.

So in the mean time, I am trying to find time each day and each weekend to do something for myself, whether that is going for a run or spending an hour reading.  And I am reminding myself that this is a temporary phase and that life will return to normal soon (well, at least a new normal as I'll be in Charlotte when things slow down eventually).

I am also trying to not put too much pressure on myself to SEE EVERYONE and DO EVERYTHING I think I should before moving.  I have a limited amount of free time and I want to spend a significant amount of that free time with Phil before moving, which might mean saying no to some dinners or happy hours that I'd like to say yes to... 

What do you do when you start to feel overwhelmed?  Are you good at making time for yourself during the busiest seasons of your life?

18 comments:

Stephany said...

That is a full weekend! I imagine it's hard to balance it all when you want to make the most of your time left in Minneapolis but also prepare for your move AND study for the CFA. That's a lot!

To-do lists are my BFF when I'm feeling overwhelmed. They help me sort out what I need to get done and prioritize. And taking time for yourself is KEY. I'm glad you're doing that. :)

missris said...

Wow you did a LOT this weekend! I'm sure you'll figure out a balance as you move forward with moving and studying :)

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Wow, you DID do a lot this weekend! I definitely think studying is not ideal right now because it is so important that you at least see Phil a lot before you go! But, I think it's okay to say no to some other things in the meantime, you will be back in MN to visit and probably forever, so you don't have to do everything now :)

Marisa A. said...

I felt the same way before I moved up to Minneapolis and in hind sight I wish I would have said no to some things. The day that I was leaving was utter chaos because I didn't. It's tough to say no, but don't feel bad it will definitely be in your best interest to!

Allison @ With Faith & Grace said...

I always feel this way when I travel because I'm like MUST DO EVERYTHING, MUST SEE EVERYONE. And then I come home basically dead and like "I need another day or two off..."

My main thing is remembering that 1) this place isn't going anywhere and 2) no one is terminally ill. They will still be here for next time. So that helps me.

Leigh said...

That does sound like a busy weekend! But it does sound like you were able to fit in some things you enjoy doing rather than all just stuff you HAVE to do.

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

Wow, you had quite the productive weekend. But I know what you mean. Those productive ones can also leaved you a bit drained. Oh and I chuckled to myself. 4" of snow here would pretty much shut down the city. :)

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I think it shows a real sign of maturity when you are able to say NO in unselfish ways ... it takes you away from always being a people pleaser to strategically thinking about what you want your life to look like and whom you want in it. I've become almost too good at it over the years ... to the point that certain people don't invite me to certain types of events anymore, knowing I'm likely going to say NO. It sort of sucks to be on the outs of a humming social life like that, but it is a true reflection of my reality as I know it today.

Nora said...

If I start to feel overwhelmed I usually change/back out of a few plans so that I can have some free time. I love being busy but I also love seeing some free time in my schedule that is just for me, or for me and Knight depending on the situation.

I have had a busy last few weekends and the next few are more relaxed (as of now) so I'm thankful for that!

Cherry Blossoms said...

Good job on getting some things purged as I bet that was a good feeling. Hopefully, we will catch up later this week.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Wow! Busy girl!!

When I get overwhelmed, I make lists of things to do each day, making sure to give myself "free" days or days with only something little to do.

Abby said...

I am glad you are promising yourself to take time for yourself! That is so important! Sounds like an awesome weekend!

I am kind of in a similar boat believe it or not. Working so much lately so my few days off are completely booked from sunrise to sunset! However, I never allow anything to be scheduled in the mornings (except teaching my class) so I can work out and have "me time".

I find using my planner and seriously breaking down every thing helps map out everything!

Marlys said...

Wow, wish I could say I accomplished something over the weekend! But I am glad you are saying no to some events as you sure don't want to over do it! Savor the moment!

Amber said...

I like weekends that are a mix of productive, fun AND relaxing! Looks like you may have just been missing the relaxing part but I know that's hard when you have to study so much!! When I am super busy and overwhelmed I find a lot of comfort in going to yoga or spending a few minutes reading or catching up on my favourite TV shows in the evenings.

Carolina John said...

You know how to eat an elephant? One bite at a time. That keeps me from getting overwhelmed. I try to focus on what I need to do next and if some turnip falls off of the truck then it's gone and I just have to deal with that. Take each day as it comes.

Shoshanah said...

I think it's funny how we call Settlers of Catan, Settlers whereas you call it Catan. I guess it could be a regional thing, but I don't necessarily think so.

I actually managed to beat the boy the first time we played. Which was complete luck since I had no idea what I was doing. But I guess it worked out in my favor!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

You did fit a lot in but sometimes you need to schedule down time in times like these! I don't know about you, but time alone is just as important as time with friends sometimes. However, I know how you feel about wanting to do everything before you leave and it's hard to say no to those fun times that you want to say yes to! I realized recently that my social life was also affecting my waist line on top of everything else! I have a hard time saying no to beer and crap food when I am out!

Anonymous said...

We LOVE Catan! If you and Phil ever visit the burgh, we must get together and play!