Monday, May 14, 2012

Monday Miscellany

Happy Monday everyone.  I hope you all had a great weekend!  We had beautiful weather here, and it looks like the nice weather will stick around.  Woo hoo!  Here's a bullet-point style post of what's on my mind today...

- My trip to Denver last week went well.  I feel good about how the presentation went and the client dinner I attended went well.  It was really great to get out of the office.  I've been avoiding work travel like the plague lately because of CFA studying, but after that test, I think I'll be traveling way more - which I am happy about.

- I made Mama Pea's Red & Green Enchiladas again.  They are so good!  If you like lentils, you should make this recipe.  When I have more time, I want to experiment with making my own green enchilada sauce.

- So it looks like this new change at work might require me to get yet ANOTHER license (I got my Series 7 & 63 last year).  Which means I will have to take another test.  Ahhhhhh!!!!!!  I know I'll get through it, but the thought of studying for yet another test this summer makes me want to cry - actually it already did make me cry. 

- That said, I've had a lot of talks with my current boss about how I can adapt to this change at work.  We are both skeptical about how it will all play out, but I am trying to have faith in the leaders of my organization and am trying to trust that if things go horribly, they will make changes. The head of our group is coming to visit on Wednesday so hopefully there will be more clarity surrounding roles and responsibilities.

- I studied over 25 hours last week.  That's a record for me.  I ended my week by taking my first full-length practice test.  It went better than I thought it would.  The CFA institute doesn't tell you what you need to pass (it's sort of graded on a curve, and around 40% pass), but allegedly if you score over 70%, you will pass.  I scored over 70% on this practice exam.  I am PRAYING it's indicative of how I will do on the exam.  And my scores should continue to improve as I take more exams (my goal is to take 6).

How was your weekend? 

20 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Oh my god, another test? I might cry too for you!!!!!
I'm glad at least CFA studying is going well and that the weather is nice there :)

abbi said...

You are going to be a master test taker soon...maybe hopefully you won't need it or at least is will be well after the CFA. Red & Green Enchilada recipe bookmarked, they sound wonderful!

AshleyD said...

So sorry to hear about all these stressful changes happening at work. I hope you get more clarity soon (and that it means no more tests)!

Amber @ A little pink in the cornfields said...

Oh my goodness, ANOTHER test? I really hope not, you need a summer to ENJOY! My fingers are crossed things work out for you.

Becky said...

I'm glad Denver went well, but OMG another effing test?! This is ridiculous! I'm glad you and your immediate boss have talked and seem to be on the same page....so sorry friend! Wahoo for scoring over a 70% though!

My weekend was spent running around doing all the things you try to get done before leaving on a trip so I didn't start packing until last night - but I'm all set - and headed out soon!

missris said...

Wow I think the first practice test is a great indication of how you will do on the CFA! You should be really proud of yourself!! As for changes at work, I hope everything works out for you in the end.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Nothing like work continuing to throw curve balls at you. Just remind yourself that you have more control than it appears. Every curve ball provides an opportunity for you to evaluate where you are and where you're going. If you feel like taking this next exam will be good for your career, then maybe it's worth taking. If you feel like it means your company is sending you in a direction you don't want to go, maybe it means it's time to look for new opportunities. Whatever you decide, remember you are in charge of your life!!!

Anonymous said...

I've said it many times and I'll say it again. You are SUCH a trooper with all this studying. I have never known anyone be so dedicated to passing something the way you are with this. You're able to blog regularly, work full time AND study more than I ever have. So awesome!

Glad your Denver trip went well! I can't believe you might have ANOTHER test this summer though? Someone needs to cut you a BREAK!

Marlys said...

Another test? I do hope it won't require too much studying so you can find time to relax and enjoy the fleeting summer months! I am so happy to hear your practice test went so well - and I just know the Real McCoy will, too! Two weeks from now and it will be all behind you, except for the next test you have to take! AUGHH!!!!

Carolina John said...

holy crap, another test after the CFA? geez, it never seems to stop for you smart people.

Caroline said...

Wow, another test. There's no way to push it off till a little later once you've recovered from the CFA? I'll cross my fingers things work out for you!
That's cool you'll be traveling more for work, I hope you come to Boston, too! Kelly and I would make great tour guides ;)

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

Great job with the 70%. I think its a good indication of what your test score will be. I mean, why else would they have the practice tests?

Another test? Don't even think about that right now. There is no use worrying about it until it is a for sure thing (and until the exam you are studying for is over!)

Those enchiladas sound great. I will definitely be making them soon!

Amber said...

Ugh, you are a serious superstar with all the tests you take/have to take for work. I don't blame you for crying over the idea of doing another one! 25 hours is SO MUCH. I told Robyn that yesterday when you texted it to me and she was in awe. You're so close to being done level II though!

Alli said...

Another test, ugh! You're amazing for being able to do this. Trust me, I couldn't.

I meant to message you all weekend and kept forgetting. I had a lovely weekend. The weather here was fantastic too, 80 degrees and no humidity!

Unknown said...

How many licenses does one need? You are going to be in the Guiness Book of World Records pretty soon.

Take care. Good job on the practice test! What a good feeling that must have been.

This weather is beautiful.

crystal said...

Another test?! Nooooooo :(

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Wow - that is a lot of studying! I had a great weekend, but it flew by.

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

San said...

Yes! (Work) Travel to California :) That would be great.

Also, I hope things are going to work themselves out at work.... I really hate when work is the source of a lot of heartache. The reorg and now possibly another test.
How can I say this? It simply sucks, but you're resilient and you'll do what you need to do!

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

LIsa, I'm thinking of you. Hope you can find some moments of peace and ease this week amidst this stressful, frustrating situation.