Wednesday, May 11, 2011

On Unicorns & Expiration Dating

It’s story time.

I was leaving work on the afternoon of Good Friday when I received an email from a good friend from college, asking if I had plans for the evening as she had a friend who was stuck in town for work who was looking for someone to go to the Twins game with.

Initially, I politely declined as I had family coming to town and I figured my family would not think it was cool for me to choose to hang out with a stranger over time with them.

Then she responded back, listing out some characteristics of this guy. When I read her email I thought – “my God, it’s like she programmed all of the attributes I’d like in a guy into a computer and out popped this guy.”

The thing is, it’s been so long since I have had a positive encounter with a guy, I was beginning to think that quality men were akin to unicorns, meaning they are a nice idea but they just don’t exist in reality. I wanted to spend the evening with my family, but I thought I might regret not taking advantage of this opportunity.


{Source}

I called my SIL and brother who were on their way from Chicago and asked them what they thought I should do. My SIL's only question: “Is he attractive?” My response: “Allegedly…” Her answer: “Then GO!”

And so I did.

There I was again tonight
Forcing laughter, faking smiles
Same old tired, lonely place
Walls of insincerity
Shifting eyes and vacancy
Vanished when I saw your face
All I can say is it was enchanting to meet you

And it was a fabulous night. The game got rained out so we went out for dinner instead and talked for hours. The conversation ranged from our mutual love of excel spreads sheets (yes, I talked about excel spreadsheets on a date, it’s no wonder I am single) to Hemingway to running to travel to being single in your 30s.

The playful conversation starts
Counter all your quick remarks
Like passing notes in secrecy
And it was enchanting to meet you
All I can say is I was enchanted to meet you

Of course the downside to all of this is the fact that he does not live here – nor does he live a driveable distance away. But I continued to see him when I could and labeled what we were doing as “expiration dating."

This night is sparkling, don't you let it go
I'm wonderstruck, blushing all the way home
I'll spend forever wondering if you knew
I was enchanted to meet you

His work project wrapped up last week and he returned home. I was sad when I found out he would be leaving – but my next thought was that I was actually thankful that I felt sadness because that meant I had actually met someone who made me feel something again. I was beginning to think that wasn’t possible.

Maybe our paths will cross again in the future – time will tell.  Chances are I will visit a sales office close to where he lives so maybe we will see each other again. Bottom line, it was a fabulous 2 week stretch of fun dates and great conversations.  It was good for me to take a easy-going approach to dating and just have fun and enjoy the company of another person.

This experience reminded me that there are fabulous guys out there. It showed me that you can meet them in the most unexpected ways.

It made me realize that life really is full of wonderful surprises.

(Lyrics are an excerpt from Enchanted by Taylor Swift)

26 comments:

Unprofessional said...

LOVE IT! I just love your writing style!

Such a sweet story-even if it doesn't end the way I would want...yet. Ummm in college I was the queen of expiration dating. I started dating 3 different guys withing 2-3 months of them leaving to study abroad. And I "expiration dated" a guy who was working in CHINA but home for just a few weeks. Despite the departure at the end, it can make for a fun experience! Ummmm...and about a year and a half ago I met a guy in Omaha, NE while living in North Dakota. He started calling me and I was like, "Dude, what do you think is going to come of this?" Turns out we're engaged.

Don't close any doors!!!

J said...

So glad you had a good dating experience! Just proves that you never know what the future holds for you Lisa!

Gracie said...

That is a sweet story. And since you both travel for work...well, never say never! You might see him quite soon!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

yay for good guys. ;)

Nora said...

Always nice to be reminded that there are amazing people out there who you can relate to.

Who knows what surprises you'll encounter next =)

Raquelita said...

Yay, Lisa! I'm really glad you've had a good experience here recently in the dating department. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Unknown said...

Hurray for fun. Great post.

Stay safe in this stormy weather!

Marlys said...

What an "enchanted" two weeks! "Put your hands in the hands of the Man who stilled the water!"

Amber said...

I love this post and I think this experience was just what you needed at this point in your life. You just never know, right :)

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Sometimes, we lose our dating mojo. And all it takes is a few good dates to realize we still have it. And there are still good people out there. I hope you've been rejuvenated - right in time for the summer dating season!

Maris (In Good Taste) said...

What a great story. I am so glad you went and had such a nice time and I am hoping your paths cross again.

Jess said...

This is a great post!! And, just so well written.

Considering my current relationship, I am a HUGE proponent of the idea that you just never know where you'll meet someone and you never know how small decisions can really have a pretty significant impact on your life.

Lisa-Marie said...

I am SO happy to see you positive about dating. SO FRICKIN HAPPY. Well done! x

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

I love this!

Are you guys going to keep in touch? Have you talked to him since he's left!

Loved how you incorporated the lyrics into this post. Don't you ever wonder how Taylor Swift can write some of this stuff and still be so young? Sometimes I am just blown away by her maturity.

Stephany said...

Aw, I absolutely love this! :) It's amazing what a really good date (even if it doesn't turn out to be long term!) can do for you.

Also, I *love* that you incorporated Taylor Swift lyrics into this post!!

crystal said...

I love your outlook on this! Love it! I am so "in my head" all of the time that I know I would ruin the time together by dwelling on the inevitability of it ending. It sounds like you dated in the moment though and enjoyed yourself for what you had. Im so happy for you and proud of you!!

Oh and I adore that you talked about Excel spreadsheets on a date :)

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

Ah, I love this and that you met such a cool guy randomly. Seriously, you're taking this so maturely. I would be freaking out. So impressed at how you've made it into a positive. The fun surprises in life are worth whatever they take to make happen.

Becky said...

Love this - such a good attitude to have! (And love that quote!)

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Yay :) That's a great story and really something I enjoyed hearing after a super long day at work! I once expiration "dated" (well dated is probably the wrong word... story too long for the comment section haha)at the end of study abroad in Australia... clearly not a relationship I was going to continue (for many other reasons as well). I think it's good sometimes... though in this case I'd kinda rather this guy move to MN and date you forever but you know, I can't always get what I want!

qwerkyqook said...

Yay! You're back in the game :) And, there is always skype to keep in touch-he might be the one! I smell a Drew Berrymore movie here...

Mandy said...

I love that you used Taylor Swift lyrics in your post.

I am so glad that you had such a fantastic two week stretch of dates. I know how much you needed that connection.

You never knows waiting just around the river bend. (I totally rocked out to the Pocahontas soundtrack today.)

Abby said...

I love this post! You are such a great writer, Lisa!

But what I love most is how happy you are - and your recent boost of positivity! Even thought it was "expiration dating" - you had fun! And you deserved it!

I'm so glad you went on that date Easter weekend!!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

:-) This post made me smile!!!

Jeanie said...

Lisa, this makes me smile and strikes a bit of memory. After one has been really shaken in the world of men and loving, it's so hard to even think it can ever happen. I remember with me -- after a long hiatus after a significant break-up, I finally started to see someone. It didn't last, but it made me feel -- as you reflected -- so darned happy that I could feel again. And then the pressure was off, because I knew it was still in me. Eons later, happy as a clam.

There is something joyful about that kind of discovery and the discovery that there is a bit of a kindred spirit there. I hope you will stay in touch, perhaps visit for vacations.

Maybe unicorns DO exist!

Lisa-Marie said...

I definitely commented on this post. Google is hiding it.

HURRAH for taking chances! And also, who knows what the future holds!?

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

Wow, that's great! See, sometimes spontaneity does pay off! Yay!

Just take it as it comes. If it is meant to be, it will be! Good luck!

(As you know my man and I are from opposite coasts. You just make it work)