Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Books & miscellany

The December blogger book club book was "The Awakening." I have totally procrastinated on writing this review... You know that old adage, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all? Well, I really don't have anything nice to say about this book. I didn't like it. At all. In fact, I was reading it at the cabin over Christmas and told my sister-in-law that I was contemplating throwing it in the fireplace. That's how much I did not care for this book!


I couldn't relate to the character and I thought she was rather whiny. I understand that women during her time period had very few options and were kind of 'stuck' with the domestic life, but that doesn't mean that infidelity is ok. I thought there were a lot of parallels between this book and "Anna Karenina" - and I also did not feel a lot of pity for Anna's character either.

So I will just stop there because it's not fun to hear someone go on and on about how much they don't like something. If you read this book and liked it - please tell me why! I'd love to know what I missed while reading it!

*******************************

Moving on. The January book for our blogger book club is "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson. I read it this fall & liked it so much, I bought the 2nd book (it's part of a 3 book series). I haven't had a chance to read the 2nd book yet ("The Girl who Played with Fire") but hopefully I will get to it this spring!

Just a reminder - the book club is open to anyone and everyone who is interested! Just stop by The Many Thoughts of a Reader. She will post questions throughout the month.

*******************************

Now for the miscellany part of the post.

Remember the football pool thing I told you about last month? I WON! Granted, it was an 8 way tie, but I still win about $38. Can't complain about that! I promised my co-worker Pat that I would read and review a sports-related book if I won the pool. So stayed tuned for that... I don't really 'do sports' so reading a sports-related book is going to be interesting.

17 comments:

Emily Jane said...

Congrats!! :) I'm definitely reading a lot more this year - I'll have to look into your book club! I remember Anna Karenina from high school, and we had to watch what seemed like a 6 hour movie version too. I hated it as well :)

I'maNolaGirl said...

You should read The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game. The author is actually from New Orleans and is a wonderful writer!

Mandy said...

I was more indifferent to the Awakening. I read the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo a few months ago and like it, but it took me a while to get to that point. I hope you find a book you enjoy for the sports one. Congrats on winning the football pool!

Nora said...

That's pretty exciting! $38 is better than zero any day =) Maybe a sports biography of some sort? Or maybe something about running?

I read the Awakening in high school and all I remember is the end and how shocked I was. I felt a little bit bad for her... perhaps if she had modern medicine or some therapy she wouldn't have been so insane!?

Allison Blass said...

I read the book awhile ago and I had many of your sentiments.

I'm definitely going to look into your book club too! I am starting one with some friends here in NYC but I am always open to more opportunities to read and meet people at the same time!

J said...

Oh that looks like such a good book! I may have to read the january book!

Abby said...

I am proud of you for sticking it through and finishing your book!!

Congrats on winning the football thing again. Wow. Can't you just tell how much of a sports enthusiast I am? ;)

Looking forward to your book review!

Amber said...

I'm going to try and get on board with the book club this month. I know I say that EVERY month but I'm really going to try because that's a book I really want to read!

And yay for winning $38! That'll cover your Friday lattes for awhile :)

Leigh said...

Woo hoo on winning the $38! It's better than nothing :)

Mama Nastase said...

Congrats on winning the football pool (or was it fantasy football? I already can't remember!) I like Amber's idea what to do with the $$.

Good luck with the next book...the Awakening sounds awful!

Little Fish said...

So cool that you won!!!

Nicole said...

I'm cracking up over here. I don't really "do sports" either. Would a children's book count?

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

Thanks Lisa! I'm a bit indifferent about this months book. I realized there is no way I can get it from the library and read it in time so I must go and buy it. That is on the agenda for this weekend. That and 30 day shred. Congrats on winning the football contest. I loooove football. May I suggest books about Woody Hayes (OSU's famous former coach) it would have some humor for you because he was quite the character! I actually have a sports book in my TBR pile about the Ohio State / Michigan rivalry. :)

Kelly said...

Congrats on the win! I was afraid to ask you about it haha cuz I didn't want to jinx you.

I HATED Awakening too and I didn't make it past like the third chapter or so. Reading Girl with the dragon tattoo now and LOVING it. I am so excited to hear there is a second one.

Anais said...

Winning something is always such a great feeling! Congrats!!

I loved The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo! Violent, but good! I'm so glad I'll be able to fully participate in the discussion this month! :)

Alia parker said...

nice

Alia parker said...

Got some knowledge from here. I am a writer. I was searching for some resources so that I can complete my book easily. Thank you so much. Traditional publishing