Friday, September 18, 2009

My Last Day!

Wow, the last 2 weeks have gone by pretty fast. Today is my last day at my current employer! Yippee! I am really going to miss my co-workers, but I know that I'll still see them on a somewhat regular basis since I'll still be working downtown (most likely, won't know for certain for another week or so!). Tonight I have my happy hour at my favorite British Pub, Brit's. I plan on keeping it pretty low key since, well, I'm 28 years old, and am a little past the age of getting out of control! Oh, and alcohol + training for my half do not mix well...

Some of you have asked what I will be doing during my time off. I certainly won't be bored! Here is what my schedule looks like for the first week:

Monday - Happy hour with co-workers from a former dept - I haven't seen some of them since last October so I am really looking forward to this!

Tuesday - Dinner with a friend that I only see about twice a year. We met when I worked as a waitress in college, circa 2000. He was bartending while getting his Law Degree. I was waitressing while getting my Math degree. We both ended up in the same city & live maybe 15 miles apart but never seem to synch up our schedules! Pathetic, but such is life I guess!

Wednesday - Brandi Carlile concert with Adrianne, my Lyon roommate. Do you listen to her music? If not you should check her out. Especially if you like singer/song writer music. She is incredibly talented! And I have the same vocal range so can pretty much sing along to all of her songs!

Thursday - Facial at noon, shopping trip with my best friend Katie in the evening. I really need to amp up my wardrobe for my new position since they tend to dress up a bit more at my new company. Katie has a great eye for fashion so I am glad she offered to come along and be my personal shopper for an evening.

Friday - I fly out for Chicago around noon. I am going to visit my brother, his wife, and my nephew Kolin! Can't wait! I tend to visit them around holidays, which is fun, but it's nice to visit them on a random September weekend!

My 2nd week off is a little bit less planned out, but it will still be relatively busy. Besides these various get togethers, I'll be doing training runs since my 10 mile race is coming up on 10/4 and my 1/2 marathon is on 10/31.

So yah, I won't be bored. Between running, get togethers, knitting some Christmas gifts, and reading, I will have plenty to keep me busy. As the saying goes, "Idle hands are the devil's workshop." I was raised in a family of busy people. My parents both work very hard and were on various committees in the community and church when we were growing up. I don't really have many memories of my mom just sitting down - unless it was to read a book to us kids. But when you are raising 5 kids, there is always something to do.

I will say I am a bit more of a 'scheduler' than my parents are, though. I love calendars and alerts to remind of commitments. We live in a busy world, though, so I feel like you have to schedule time to see friends/family - otherwise it won't happen. Would I be seeing as many people as I will during my time off if I just tried to set something up a day in advance? I honestly don't think so.

This was a BIG issue when I dated Ryan, my previous boyfriend. He HATED it when I wanted to plan our weekend ahead of time or at least figure out what night he wanted to see me so I could make plans with friends for the other night of the weekend. It wasn't the demise of our relationship, but it was a source of many conflicts. And you know what - since he was 'anti-planning' we never did anything or saw anyone. Seriously. I understand that you can be spontaneous and do interesting things, that just wasn't the case in our relationship.

So next time around, I need to date someone who is a little bit more of a planner, or is at least ok with the fact that I am a planner.

What about you, my dear readers? Are you planners or are you more spontaneous?

11 comments:

Becky said...

Your time off sounds fabulous! I am definitely a planner. My husband is not, but he doesn't mind the planning which is good - although sometimes my lists make him a little crazy. :) Have a great last day!

aimee said...

i'm a little bit of both. i like to plan most things but i'm also pretty spontaneous!

i hope your last day goes well!! i'm so jealous of your time off. you deserve it!! have fun tonight!!

Abby said...

Sounds like you are going to have an awesome week off!! Very fun! You deserve it! Wish I could tag along to Chicago with you next weekend :)

I am a planner. Every week I write out this schedule of what Ryan and I will be doing hourly (class schedule, his hours he'll be working, block off study time, set up work out times) just so we can look at the schedule and know what's going on.

Great idea, right? .... I'm the only one that acknowledges it. Ryan thinks it's really "cute".

But yeah, I'm definitely a planner--and not having schedules drives me nuts and makes me unproductive!

Cherry Blossoms said...

Hope the next two weeks treat you well!

Somewhat of a mix for both myself and Chris. I hate it though when my entire vacations or weekends get planned for me. I am am active person so I hate sitting around as well, but I hate it when things are so precisely scheduled. For me, when my downtime is constantly planned it makes me feel stressed. I def need some spontaneous moments in my days. It helps keep the stress away.

Mama Nastase said...

So excited for your next two weeks! I'm envious of your trip to Chicago...love that city & my sister lives outside the city, too. I'm sure you'll have a great time with the fam.

In our marriage, my husband is the planner. (21 years of military service!) Me? Not so much. But I find, just like almost everything else in life, that compromise & "coming to the middle" is the solution!

Enjoy your last day at the current job!

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

Congratulations!!! That is awesome, you sound so excited!! :)
I'm a planner too, but I think I am still spontaneous. I'm not one of those people that freaks if the plan changes, I just have to have a plan in the first place! :)

Anais said...

Oh boy, I am SUCH a planner :P I mean I'll do the odd spontaneous thing but I just love filling in my schedule! It feels pretty much the same as eating chocolate!! lol :D

Carolina John said...

I like to plan things too. sometimes i will be the first person to sign up for a race because i want to plan it far enough in advance.

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

this sounds like an awesome two weeks off! Some fun and relaxation!

I'm a planner for sure, but the bf is not. He's learning and trying to be more of a planner and I'm trying to be a little more go with the flow. It's not easy...

Amber said...

I am such a planner - I have a google calendar, an outlook calendar at work, an actual planner that I carry around AND a blackberry that I put all of my events/commitments/assignments etc. in! Eric is not a planner at all but luckily he lets me take care of it and goes along with whatever I suggest!!

You are going to be such a busy bee and the next two weeks are going to fly by! I'm so excited for you!

I LOVE shopping for businessy clothes. When I landed my internship my mom and I went shopping for a bunch of nice, office stuff for me to wear and it was so fun. Definitely one of my favourite memories of hanging out with my mom!

Enjoy your happy hour and good luck on your runs this weekend!! XO

Little Fish said...

I looooove a plan. I can not even explain to you the degree to which having a plan gives me comfort! I'm not so rigind that I can't change the plan, but I need a jumping off point. I like to say, I can think outside the box, but I need to have the box defined first.