Monday, August 10, 2009

Going halvesies

Half marathon training started today. Thank God it didn't start before Abby's wedding, because I didn't run a single day when I was at the cabin for that. I had the best intentions to run on Friday morning, but it was pouring rain, and I am just not that hard core. I probably need to get over the whole 'running in a down pour' because if it's pouring on October 31st (please God, give me 50-60 degrees and sunshine), I am going to have to do as Tim Gunn says and 'make it work'.

Day one went well. I switched it up a bit. Hal told me to stretch & strength train, but it felt odd to not run on the first day of a training schedule for a running race... So I got my 3 miles in and they went ok. I have somehow lost some of the speed that I had gained in July. Not sure if it's the heat or what.

I don't really have a goal for this 1/2 marathon. I am kind of treating it like a first 1/2, even though it is my 3rd. The other 2 were ran in 2006 & 2007, and that was so long ago.

I guess if I have any goal, it is to erase the memory of that last 1/2 I did in 2007. I had ran the marathon that fall and foolishly got a little cocky. I thought - eh, I ran 26.2, I can run 13.1 So I didn't really train. I was in a new relationship and there were just so many other fun things to do besides putting in those miles.

I learned my lesson. Big time. I did finish the race, but it took about 2:30 and I was HURTING. Like, I got sick multiple times during the run and basically wanted to die when I got to the finish line. I had signed up to run it with my friend Nicole but was only able to stay with her for the first 6 miles or so, so I felt bad that she had to run most of it on her own.

Oh well, lesson learned. I won't make that mistake again.

If this 1/2 goes well, I will probably train for another one in the spring and maybe look at doing a full in the fall of 2010. But that is a BIG maybe since I know how much training will consume my life! So we'll see.

So here's to a successful, injury free training season.

PS I am working on a series of wedding weekend blog posts. There is too much info to cram into one blog post! But those will come later this week as I have tons of fruits and veggies to cut up for the week. Because I basically ate to my heart's delight all weekend - so I need to get back on the healthy, balanced eating wagon again! But I sure enjoyed all the delicious food I ate this weekend! :)

4 comments:

Jess said...

Good luck with all your training! Sounds intense, but I know you can do it!

Amber said...

Yay! Fun that we are both in training - I'm entering week 2 of Hal Higdon's training schedule!!!

When I trained for my first two halfs I only ran 4 times a week and this one has me running 5 times a week so hopefully the extra mileage will help me get faster!!

I saw all the wedding pics on facebook - beautiful! Can't wait for your recap!

Katie said...

Good luck with your training. You are far more motivated than I am! :)

aimee said...

i can't wait to hear about the wedding weekend! hope you're having a good week back at work!