Thursday, February 26, 2009

Book Review: Best of Friends

Last week I finished reading, "The Best of Friends" by Sara James & Ginger Mauney. I had mentioned this in a previous "To-Reads" post that I did back in December. I had the best intentions to not buy any books in 2009 until I had read all the un-read books on my shelves... but then I had a really stressful week and caved... So this is one of the 3 books that I purchased!



Memoirs & Travel Memoirs are probably my favorite types of books. I don't know if it is the voyeur in me that makes me love these books, but I just love reading about other people's lives. Especially when they are living overseas. In this book, we meet Sara James & Ginger Mauney - two best friends that grew up together in Richmond, Virginia. Sara is a network news reporter for NBC and Ginger is a wildlife filmmaker, living in a wildlife park in Africa. They live completely different lives and are separated by thousands of miles, but their friendship continues to thrive through the years.

Sara and Ginger take turns narrating the story of their lives, starting in 1983 and concluding in 2006. I've never read a book with two narrators, but it flows very well and the resulting story is seamless. It's interesting to get each woman's take on their life, and also reflections on what the other person is going through.

This book definitely doesn't top my list of favorite travel memoirs (unlike Without Reservations, An Italian Affair, and Honeymoon with My Brother), but it was still entertaining. And it makes me really want to go on a safari trip to Africa!

I own this book, and the other 3 I mentioned, so if you live in MSP and would like to read, let me know! I'd love to lend them out!

1 comment:

Cherry Blossoms said...

I am interested in reading it. Maybe i can borrow it when I come in April?