Monday, January 26, 2009

Resolutionary Road: Mexican Meatloaf


So my posts on my 'healthy cooking' experiences have been sparse. This is only my 2nd post. Which means I have only cooked twice in 2009. I'm really not cooking nearly as much as I'd like to, but am blaming this on being out of town the last 4 weekends and having the flu last week... Excuses, excuses. Here's hoping I can get back on track in February!!



Back in early January, I had Brooke over for a night of knitting. I decided to try another Weight Watcher's menu, since the Mediterranean Burgers turned out great. I was happy with this recipe as well.



Once again, I had to get over my dislike of touching raw meat. The recipe called for a 1/2 lb of ground turkey and a 1/2 lb of ground beef, so mixing these two meats by hand was the only option. I think I'm pretty much over my 'squeamish' feelings about touching meat. It's not something I enjoy doing, but I can do it without feeling too grossed out!!



The recipe was pretty straight forward. Just had to mixed up a bunch of ingredients.







then form it into a oval shape on a broiler pan, and let her cook.






I sort of forgot to take pictures of the finished product when it came out of the oven... but here's what was left at the end of the night...


Brooke and I both had 2 helpings, so you'll have to trust that it tasted good!


Here's the recipe:


Cooking Spray
½ lb raw extra lean ground beef
½ lb lean ground turkey breast
2 large egg whites
2 oz. cornbread stuffing dry mix (about 1 c.)
1 medium onion, chopped
½ tsp. chili powder
¼ tsp. ground cumin
4 oz. canned green chili peppers, diced
8 oz. canned enchilada sauce

Preheat oven to 375F. Coat a broiler pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, mix beef, turkey, egg whites, stuffing mix, onion, chili powder, cumin, chilies, and ½ of enchilada sauce together. Shape into an oval with your hands and place on prepared broiler pan.

Cook for 1 hour, top with remaining enchilada sauce and bake for 5 minutes more. Slide into 6 pieces and serve.


* Cooking spray was one of the items that got thrown away during my cleaning spree since it was past it's expiration date. So I had to go without. I wouldn't recommend skipping that agreement. I did double the cumin and chili powder since that is how I roll... next time around I would still double the cumin but probably not the chili powder as it sort of over powered the dish.


I would definitely make this again, though. For those familiar with WW, it's only 3 points/serving. Which is pretty good since your basic bowl of cereal with skim milk runs you 4 points. And this dish is much tastier/fulfilling than cereal and milk, in my opinion...


Enjoy!


No comments: