Monday, November 10, 2008

Barefoot

I finished reading "Barefoot" by Elin Hilderbrand on Friday night. I was in need of a light-hearted read after the heavy subject-matter in both "The Zookeeper's Wife" and "The Road". The book delivered in that sense, but was pretty disappointing in general. It would be an ok beach or vacation read, which I should have picked up on judging by the book cover. Aside from that, it didn't really do much to warm up the cold October nights I spent reading it.

The book is about 3 women from the NYC area who spend a summer at a cottage in Nantucket. I have a fascination with that area of the US so that is what drew me to the book initially. Each woman is battling something different from cancer to marital infidelity to career problems. They basically go to Nantucket to get away from their problems. I found it pretty unrealistic, though. If I was battling Lung Cancer, I don't think I'd leave my husband for the summer; even if it would offer a change of pace/scenery, I'd rather spend all my extra time with my husband in case I wasn't able to win the fight against cancer....

Early on in the vacation, the women meet a young man who is in his early 20's. He signs on to be the 'manny' since the two women who aren't battling cancer can't find the time to help watch the kids... Again, a bit bizarre in my opinion...

All in all, it was easy, 'chic-lit' reading, but not very satisfying. There are many more 'beach reads' that I'd recommend before this one.

No comments: