Monday, October 13, 2008

The Thirteenth Tale

I finished Diane Setterfield's first novel, 'The Thirteenth Tale', over the weekend. I wasn't sure if I was going to like this or not, but the story caught my eye. And it was NY Times Bestseller so I figured it couldn't be a bad book. I actually liked it more than I thought I would. It was difficult to put down which meant I stayed up way past my self-imposed bed time last week. The book is about a biographer, Margaret Lea, who has been contacted by a famous author; this author has given multiple interviews throughout her life about 'her story', none of which are true. She's nearing the end of her life and is finally ready to tell the true story of her past and has selected Margaret to pen her life story.

I don't want to give anything away, but the author's life is extremely interesting, with lots of twists and turns. Much of her story has to do with her relationship with her siblings. Early on, we learn that Margaret also had a twin so understands the dymanics of that relationship.

I can't really say much else about the book without ruining for someone who would potentially read it, but it's worth checking out. I give it 4 out of 5 stars!

1 comment:

Marlys said...

Sounds like a great read! I am looking forward to winter in hopes of having more time to read!